Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Elephant Vanishes - Haruki Murakami

I read through a few of the stories from Haruki Murakami's book, the Elephant Vanishes. I have not read anything quite like this. It's really a bit surreal, but also partially like a slice of life kind of thing. I am actually enjoying the slice of life comics a whole lot, it's probably just because they have interesting, fresh stories and good writing. My favorite story I've read from this book so far is "the second bakery attack." This couple are hungry one night and decided to rob a mcdonald's in order to satisfy some old spirits from the husbands past he had after he had robbed a bakery when he was younger. They rob.... a mcdonalds..... for burgers....... whaaaaaaaat. The wife even pays for the drinks. It was just weird, "hey we need to rob a bakery store so you feel better." I mean comeon, that is awesomely hilarious. I guess I'm really excited because I've never read content like this before, it's new and exciting, not to mention Murakami is a great writer and does a great job of describing all the nuances in the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment